Filled with powerful immune supports, the sweet tangy taste of pineapple tempered with the smooth sweetness of blueberries and banana is a delicious way to start the day or provide that perfect afternoon pick-me up.
- 1 cup of firmly packed chopped fresh kale leafs without stems (organic if possible)
- 1 organic green tea bag (cut open bag and pour contents into the blender)
- 1 Tbs coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (organic if possible)
- 1 1/2 cups cubbed fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 2 cups unsweetened organic non-dairy milk (such as soy milk)
- Put all ingredients except for non-dairy milk in blender in order as listed.
- Run blender on slow setting or chop in order to begin breaking up the ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of non-dairy milk and blend on high to begin blending the mixture.
- Add the last cup of non-dairy milk and blend until smooth.
Pineapple: The key to picking a sweet pineapple is to make sure the base has some yellow coloring with a bit spread through the veins of the body. Take the sniff test; a ripe pineapple will have a sweet pineapple scent. If the pineapple is not quite ripe, lean it upside down in a basket or bowl on your counter for a day or two. This will help the sugars move towards the top of the pineapple and speed the ripening.
Non-dairy milk: Read the ingredients list carefully and avoid purchasing non-dairy milk that has additives, especially sugar, “natural flavors” (which can include artificial sweeteners), carrageenan (which causes inflammation), added oils and other chemicals. My favorite is Trader Joes unsweetened organic soy milk. It has only two ingredients: soy and water.