When you’re feeling fatigued or concerned you might be getting sick, here’s a quick and easy immune boosting recipe: blend one whole lemon with one tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and one cup of water. Yep the whole lemon, including the rind.
Lemons are an excellent immunity booster, providing your body with essential vitamin C, antioxidants, antivirals and antibacterial support that your immune system needs to keep you healthy. Lemons are also a great way to alkalize your body in an effort to balance your pH and fight cancer and other chronic diseases. Visit our website for more information about balancing your pH.
The lemon oil from the rind is exceptionally powerful. It contains limonene which is a potent antimicrobial that kills microorganisms and prevents their growth, as well as having anti fungal properties. Research also shows that the flavonoids from the citrus peel help fight cancer and reduce respiratory inflammation. Adding olive oil to this drink helps your body release toxins from your liver.
Try our recipe:
- 1 small whole lemon or lime – cut into small pieces – rind and seeds
- 1 cup of water (more for larger lemons)
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful of ice cubes, optional
If the sour flavor of lemon is too strong, add 1 tbsp of date paste or a pinch of stevia.
- Wash lemon well then cut into small pieces to make it easier for your blender to liquify. (Do not remove the rind or seeds.)
- Put lemon pieces in blender and blend for a few seconds to break down the lemon.
- Add the water and oil (and date paste or stevia and ice cubes, if using) and blend until liquefied.
- If your blender is not super powerful, you may have small bits of residual rind. Do not strain. Drink and enjoy!