[recipe title=”Gerry’s Gazpacho”]
This is a recipe provided by Gerry Gospe and a wonderful way to celebrate tomatoes on a hot summer night.
Note – this recipe is super easy to make if you have a juicer (for making the tomato juice) and if you have a Vitamix or similar blender. Then you do not need to chop everything so finely.
- 4 cups tomato juice. If you have a juicer, you can make fresh tomato juice in it.
- 2 1/4 peeled, or not, seeded, or not, chopped red tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, minced
- 1 peeled, seeded, diced cucumber
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, minced and seeded (unless you like it hot)
- 1 cup minced celery
- Juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 lime
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 Tsp. each dried tarragon and basil, or 3 Tbsp. fresh
- 1/2 to 1 Tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup freshly minced parsley
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Make the tomato juice with a juice or by hand, squeezing the tomatoes
- Add all ingredients through the lemon and lime juice into the Vitamix, blender or food processor, if using. Process on low for 30-40 sec. Otherwise you can simply stir the ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients (from balsamic vinegar on), stir and chill for an hour or so. Serve and enjoy!