[recipe title=”Vegan Quinoa Salad” servings=”8″]
Submitted by Kathy Parnay
This alkaline salad was a staple for Stefan during his battle with cancer. You can change it up by altering the ingredients. Consider adding edename, peas, green onions, etc. You can also change up the spices by adding fresh herbs like basil, oregano, rosemary, etc. This is a great salad to pack for school or work and is a hit at potlucks.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small head of broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup bok choy, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon (juice and 1/2 tsp of the rind)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa: In a medium sized sauce pan, add water and rinsed quinoa. Cover and bring to a boil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then turn off heat and let quinoa sit until all water has been absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- Once the quinoa is at room temperature, in a large mixing bowl add first 8 ingredients (through sunflower seeds).
- In a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, and spices and mix well.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Serve at room temperature.