Vegan Purple Sweet Potato & Lacinato Kale Soup
Inspired by Anna Thomas, Love Soup
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 pounds purple sweet potatoes (or regular), peeled and diced
- 2 bunches Lacinato kale, trimmed from stems and cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and saute the yellow onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add the broth and water followed by the potatoes, kale and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the green onions, most of the cilantro and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer soup for 10-15 minutes, adding more water to desired consistency.
- Stir in the cumin, lemon juice and cayenne (if using) and adjust seasonings.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor, or with an immersion blender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a bit of cilantro.