Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Inspired by The New Vegetarian Epicure from Anna Thomas
- 5 large leeks, white and light green parts
- 5 lbs of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (save peels)
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- Juice from one lemon
Fresh ground pepper
- Peel and cube the potatoes
- Put the potatoes in a soup pot and cover with water, about 1 inch above the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Put the potato peels in another small pot and cover the water. Heat until boiling and then simmer.
- Wash and chop the white part of the leeks
- Heat a frying pan and add the EVOO. Saute the leeks until theyare tender, adding more water or a bit of white wine to keep them from sticking.
- Strain the potato peel water and add to the soup
- Add the broth, leeks, dill, parsley, pepper and lemon juice.
- Simmer for another 10-15 minutes and adjust salt and pepper to taste
- You can serve as is or use an imersion blender to make it smooth.