Vegan Minestrone Soup
Inspired by Moosewood Cookbook
- 2 small or 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 3-4 carrots, chopped (peel if desired)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2-3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 64 oz. of organic veggie broth
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat or gluten-free macaroni noodles
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oil in a large soup pot and when hot add the onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, bell pepper and stir for a few more minutes
- Add the zucchini, potatoes, broth, diced tomatoes and herbs and cook for 10-20 minutes
- Add the beans, bring to a boil and add the pasta, lowering the heat enough to cook the pasta until tender
- Add salt and pepper and adjust any of the seasonings to taste
- Serve with a big green salad and whole wheat bread.
Notes: If you are eating a low glycemic alkaline diet to reverse disease or cancer, you’ll want to make the following adjustments:
- Make sure the vegetable broth you are using does not contain any additives, preservatives or added sugar. You can also substitute water for the broth and increase the amount of spices to impart a stronger taste.
- Replace the tomatoes with more vegetable broth or blended red bell pepper.
- Omit the potatoes.
- Replace the kidney beans with red or green lentils.
- Replace the noodles with 1/2 cup of quinoa or 1/2 cup of cooked millet.
- Omit the bread.