Vegan Butternut Squash & Rainbow Chard Risotto
Courtesy of Deborah Scharfetter
Nutritional yeast replaces the parmesan cheese, giving the risotto a creamy texture.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1/2 bunch of rainbow chard, approx. 5 leaves and stems
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 32 oz. box vegetable broth (or equivalent home-made) plus 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel, seed and cut one medium butternut squash into small (1/4″) dice. Toss in some olive oil and salt and pepper and spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes until cooked and slightly brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Wash and chop the rainbow chard. Remove the stem from the leaves, but chop the stalk like you would celery. Saute in the pan you will cook the risotto in with some olive oil until done but still crunchy. Remove to a holding bowl.
- Add broth and water to a pot on the stove and warm over low-medium heat.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed and saute the onion and garlic until soft but not brown.
- Add 2 cups arborio rice and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add white wine, if using, and stir until liquid is absorbed.
- Start adding hot vegetable stock, one ladle at a time until the liquid is absorbed.
- About 20 min into cooking, add the chard and continue cooking until the risotto is done the way you like it.
- Turn off the heat and stir the nutritional yeast, some freshly grated nutmeg, salt and fresh ground pepper and the roasted butternut squash.