Vegan Buckwheat Tabbouleh (Alkaline Diet)
Adapted from the book Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your way to Lasting Health by Sharon Palmer, RDN and our original recipe: Vegan Buckwheat Tabbouleh (gluten-free) in which we omitted the apples.
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 4 cups chopped fresh parsley, loosely packed
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber, with peel, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 ½ – 2 tsp. Immunity Spice Mixture, recipe follows
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds (optional)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
Make Immunity Spice Mixture: (makes @ 10 tsp.) Stir the following spices together in a small bowl. Place in a spice jar.
- 3 tsp. Turmeric, 1 ½ tsp. each cumin and coriander,
- 3 tsp. ground fennel (grind seeds in spice grinder)
- ½ tsp. dry ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. powdered cinnamon
- In a pot, combine buckwheat and the water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir. Lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off heat, for 5 minutes more. Drain liquid. Transfer to a large salad bowl to cool or refrigerate.
- Place garlic, parsley, and mint in a food processor. Pulse until only finely chopped.
- Pour onto cooled buckwheat.
- Add green onions, celery, cucumber and apple. Mix well.
- Place 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in small sauce pan, add 1 ½ -2 tsps Spice Mix. Stir over med-low heat until the spice become fragrant. You’ll be adding this spice mix to the next step.
- Whisk together in a small bowl the olive oil, lemon juice, Immunity Spice Mix, Salt and Pepper to taste. Add to the buckwheat mixture to taste. Serve at room temperature.
* Steps 1 and 2 may be done the day before.