Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes or Waffles
Submitted by Autumn Phipps, owner of Blackberry Cottage Playgarden
This recipe is a favorite Sunday morning treat. The batter can be used for either pancakes or waffles. Although it requires a little planning the night before, they’re quick to put together in the morning and worth every bite!
- 1 1/3 cup oats
- 2/3 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 2 ½ cups almond milk (you can also substitute rice, soy, hemp or nut milk)
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 6 tbsp of water
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups berries and fruit
- Unsweetened coconut to sprinkle
- Maple syrup
The night before: Combine oats, buckwheat, almond milk in blender, blend for 20 seconds and let soak overnight (or 6-8 hours) in the refrigerator.
The next morning:
- Preheat an oiled griddle or skillet.
- Make “chia eggs” by mixing 2 tbsp chia seeds with 6 tbsp of water. Stir and let sit for 5 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients to grains, and blend until smooth. (Add a little water if needed.)
- Pour about ¼ cup batter onto griddle.
- For pancakes: cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Repeat until all batter is used. (Keep finished pancakes warm in the oven until ready to eat.)
- Top with your favorite topping and enjoy!