Plant-based, vegan pizza with oven roasted veggies
Here is a easy way to make delicious plant-based pizza.
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare two cookie sheets lined with parchment or silicone sheets.
- Crust: I like to use Vicolo’s Gluten-free Corn Meal Crusts which I buy at Whole Foods. They are organic, non-GMO and delicious. There are two to a package so buy 2 each for this recipe. You can also make your own dough of course.
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 head garlic with most of the outer skin removed
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium Italian eggplant
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 10-12 pitted kalamata olives, sliced in half
- 1 bunch fresh basil, thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- 1-2 teaspoons each basil, oregano, rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 jar vegan artichoke spread, bruschetta topping, pizza sauce or 1 small can organic tomato paste
- Wash and prepare the vegetables
- Place the bell peppers, eggplant and garlic on one cookie sheet and rub with EVOO, covering all the skin
- Place the onions and mushrooms on the other cookie sheet and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon EVOO. Sprinkle with the seasonings and salt and pepper and stir.
- Roast the veggies for 20 minutes and check. Rotate the peppers and eggplant and stir the onions and mushrooms
- Roast further until the veggies are done. Remove the peppers to a paper bag or just let cool on a cutting board
- Remove the skins from the peppers and eggplant. Remove any seeds and slice.
- To prepare the pizzas, spoon on your favorite spread, whether it’s pureed artichokes, bruschetta topping, tomato paste or pizza sauce
- Squeeze the garlic from the bulb – it should be like a paste
- Add the onions, garlic, bell peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and olives.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes
- Remove from oven, top with fresh basil, slice and enjoy!
The pizza is great served with minestrone soup and a big green salad.