This is a delicious Indian stew of garbanzo beans and tomatoes, also known as a chickpea curry. Serve over brown basmati rice topped with cilantro. A nice side is the Roasted Cauliflower with garlic, ginger and turmeric.
- 3 Tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (or 3 to 4 cups, if home-made)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix the spice blend together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot and add the oil.
- Add in the onions, garlic and ginger and saute several minutes until the onions are tender.
- Add the spice blend and cayenne, if using, and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and a bit of water if needed.
- Add the garbanzo beans, cilantro and parsley and stir.
- Let simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Notes: If you are eating a low glycemic alkaline diet to reverse disease or cancer, you’ll want to omit the tomatoes then serve over millet, quinoa or buckwheat.