Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Corn Hash
This is a variation of a recipe from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
- 1-2 T. Olive Oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 jalapeno minced (remove seeds and membrane if you like it mild)
- 1 T coriander
- 1 T cumin
- 2 T chili powder
- Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked black beans (or 1.5 cans)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 bag frozen organic fire roasted corn
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Have hot water ready in tea kettle or on the stove
- In a large frying pan or skillet heat the olive oil. Saute the onion for a few minutes and then add the garlic.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and a bit of hot water if onions are sticking to the pan (or white wine). Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and spices. Stir, cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes
- Add the black beans, corn and diced tomatoes, stir, cover and cook for another 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender (pierce with fork)
- Add the chopped cilantro, stir
Taste and adjust seasonings
Serve over spanish rice with guacamole, salsa and organic corn tortillas.