[recipe title=”Vegan Bran Muffins with Seeds and Raisins” servings=”12-18″]
Courtesy of Linda Gass
These muffins are packed with protein and nutrients. Great to take on hikes or just to keep on hand for breakfast and snacks.
NOTE: Requires preparation the night before (the secret to moist whole wheat muffins)
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran or oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or combine whole wheat with buckwheat and oat flour)
- 2 TBS ground flax seeds
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 1 TBS white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 TBS sunflower seeds. toasted
- 2 TBS pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 TBS poppy seeds
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- 1 TBS hemp seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 TBS shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pureed butternut squash or chopped apple
- Combine flour, bran, flax & chia seeds, almond milk and vinegar in large mixing bowl. Cover and leave overnight at room temperature.
- Pour boiling water over the dates, enough to cover them and soak overnight.
- Combine the remaining seeds, nuts, raisins and coconut in a bowl. Set aside.
- Next day: preheat oven to 350° F and lightly grease nonstick muffin cups with oil.
- Drain and reserve water from dates and place dates in food processor. Puree dates adding the reserve water a little at a time to create a smooth paste. Mix the date puree and the vanilla with the flour mixture.
- Sift baking soda & baking powder over flour mixture. Add all remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. This isn’t a finicky batter so don’t worry about overmixing.
- Distribute batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm or cool completely on the rack. Muffins can be frozen and reheated.